- Coleman ISD
Student Health Advisory Council
What is SHAC?
A School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) is made up of school personnel, community members and parents. SHAC assists the district in ensuring the local community values are reflected in health education instruction. Additionally, SHAC plays an important role in strengthening the connection between health and learning. They can help parents and community stakeholders reinforce the knowledge and skills children need to stay healthy for a lifetime.
What does the SHAC do?
1. Health Instruction
2. Health Services
3. Physical Education
4. School Counseling
5. Food Service
6. Health promotion for staff
7. Integrated school and community programs
The local health advisory council's duties include recommending:
1. The number of hours of instruction to be provided in health education.
2. Health education curriculum appropriate for specific grade levels that may include a coordinated health education program designed to prevent obesity, cardiovascular disease, and Type II diabetes.
3. Instruction to prevent the use of tobacco.
4. Appropriate grade levels and methods of instruction for human sexuality education.
One of the responsibilities of the SHAC is to assist in the development of nutrition guidelines and wellness goals. These guidelines should advance student health and reduce childhood obesity and promote the general wellness of all students through nutrition education, physical activity, and other school-based activities.
CISD Wellness Plan 2021-2022
Local Wellness Policy
SHAC Meeting Schedules
12-02-21 at 2pm at CES
12-10-21 at 10 am at CJHS Library - Agenda- Discuss roles and responsibilities of SHAC committee members, Assess the Wellness Plan, Discuss Human Sexuality Curriculum
SHAC Meeting Minutes December 10, 2021
1/4/21 The SHAC members looked at a variety of curriculums. https://www.g-w.com/adoptions/texas/2022/. The link will take you to a description of our new adopted health curriculum for 2022-2023.
October 12, 2022 at 10AM in the CJHS Library
CISD SHAC MEETING MINUTES 10/12/22
If you are interested in serving on the SHAC, please contact:
Director of Special Programs and School Improvement